Join our Mt Eden team
Our Mt Eden site is opening a new wing early next year and we're on the search for people to join our team.
Our people come from diverse backgrounds, from trades and farming to office jobs, retail, teaching and social agencies – your experience could be just what we are looking for.
Help keep Auckland safe and care for offenders as they transition into our care.
What you'll do
Our team work in shifts (including on weekends and public holidays) to cover the 24/7 operation working directly with prisoners as they come into custody from Courts. It can be a challenging environment working with people who may have complex addiction, mental health and physical health needs.
Our corrections officers use their pro-social positive attitudes and strong communication skills to deescalate and influence prisoners during their transition. They work in a variety of areas within the prison and carry out the daily routines relevant to the unit they are in.
We look for people from all walks of life who bring a wide range of attributes and life experiences with them. We value and actively seek a wide range of people who reflect the multicultural and diverse population of Auckland city.
In this role your contribution counts, and you can have a positive effect on the lives of others every day. If this sounds like you apply now!
What we can offer
- Rostered rotating shifts including nights, weekends and public holidays
- Starting salary $51,490 increasing to $54,001 upon graduating
- Five weeks' holiday annually
- Paid training with one week induction (Ara Tika) at our National Learning Centre in Upper Hutt, then 10 weeks Corrections Ofﬁcer Development Pathway (requires some time away from home).
- Career progression and development opportunities
- Free onsite parking
Skills we look for
- Are good at communicating with a range of people
- Are flexible, adaptable and have high resilience
- Are comfortable working in a fast paced, changing work environment
- Have personal leadership skills and high integrity
- Are team players, dependable and honest
- Are observant, alert and accurate
- Can use technology and computers with confidence
About the site
Mt Eden Corrections Facility (MECF) is in the central Auckland suburb of Mt Eden and was originally constructed in 1888 making it one of the oldest prisons in the country. In early 2011, the site was redeveloped and become the main reception facility for newly remanded male prisoners.
This year, the site looks to open a brand-new wing and take another step towards realising the goal of becoming a global leader in remand - admired for its people, partnerships and performance.