Keep Tāmaki Makaurau safe
We're looking for people across Tāmaki Makaurau to join our whānau.
Our people come from diverse backgrounds, from trades and farming to office jobs, retail, teaching and social agencies – your experience could be just what we are looking for.
The department’s strategy Hōkai Rangi represents a direction that builds on the good things that are already happening, learns from doing and most importantly innovates to find new and alternative ways of doing things to achieve better outcomes for Māori and their whanau. We are looking for people who want to join us on this journey.
Ō mahi (What you'll do)
Our Corrections Officer (Āpiha Whare Herehere) team work in shifts (including on weekends and public holidays) to cover the 24/7 operation working directly with prisoners. It can be a challenging environment working with people who may have complex addiction, mental health and physical health needs.
Āpiha Whare Herehere use their pro-social positive attitudes and strong communication skills to deescalate and influence prisoners during their transition. They work in a variety of areas within the prison and carry out the daily routines relevant to the unit they are in.
We look for people from all walks of life who bring a wide range of attributes and life experiences with them. We value and actively seek a wide range of people who reflect the multicultural and diverse population of Auckland city.
In this role your contribution counts, and you can have a positive effect on the lives of others every day. If this sounds like you tono ināianei!
What we can offer
- Rostered rotating shifts including nights, weekends and public holidays
- Starting salary $53,457 during training increasing to $56,031 upon graduating. You can then earn up $65,685 before progressing to senior and principal officer roles
- Five weeks' holiday annually
- Paid training with one week induction (Ara Tika) at our National Learning Centre in Upper Hutt, then 10 weeks Corrections Ofﬁcer Development Pathway (requires some time away from home)
- Career progression and development opportunities
- Free onsite parking
Skills we look for
- Are good at communicating with a range of people
- Are flexible, adaptable and have high resilience
- Are comfortable working in a fast paced, changing work environment
- Have personal leadership skills and high integrity
- Are team players, dependable and honest
- Are observant, alert and accurate
- Can use technology and computers with confidence