Probation officers (Āpiha Matakana) motivate and encourage people in our management to make positive changes in their lives and ensure they comply with their community-based sentences and orders.
Āpiha Matakana spend about 50% of their time face to face with offenders and the remaining 50% preparing reports and recommendations for the courts and New Zealand Parole Board.
Their work often means working closely with offenders’ whānau, programme facilitators and community work supervisors as well as other agencies including Work and Income, The Salvation Army, and Oranga Tamariki.
Skills we look for
We are looking for people who:
- are able to motivate others and are engaging
- can think critically and assess information
- have strong writing skills
- are team players, dependable and honest.
What we can offer
- A 40 hour working week either Monday to Friday or Tuesday to Saturday
- Salary range of $57,496 up to $73,080
- Five weeks' holiday annually
- Initial learning pathway – one week Ara Tika (induction in Upper Hutt), then 25 weeks Pou Hapori Iho (probation ofﬁcer initial learning pathway)
What you need
- A tertiary qualiﬁcation preferred ideally in criminology or sociology
- Good relationship management skills with high resilience and the ability to deal with immediate safety risks
- Able to analyse and interpret legislation
- Full New Zealand Driver Licence
- Ability to pass a drug test
- Declare any conﬂicts of interest and previous convictions. Exempt from Clean Slate and all conviction history is released